Head of Legal
As our first dedicated full-time legal hire, you’ll be responsible for building the function within our company so that it can run smoothly and scale as we hire more team members.
Not all of these are hard requirements, but they do describe the kinds of people that we think would be most effective right now.
- JD and bar admission to at least one state – required.
- 5+ years of general corporate, securities, contracts, and governance experience in large law firms and/or in-house legal departments.
- Experience in the drafting and negotiation of complex technology and/or crypto-related contracts.
- Experience with privacy and data protection regulations, including the CCPA, GDPR, and SEC regulations.Experience working with technology companies and/or crypto companies.
- Experience working with technology companies and/or crypto-currency companies.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and ability to manage several simultaneous projects with deadlines
- Practical written and verbal communication skills, complemented by top-tier judgment.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity, and the ability to balance legal risks with business strategy
- You thrive while independently running your own time in a demanding, fast-paced environment and can handle the ambiguity of rapidly shifting priorities with flexibility, patience, and positivity.
Roles and job descriptions at our stage are necessarily ambiguous and cover a huge portfolio of responsibilities, so we need someone who thrives in that environment.
- Contract Drafting, Review, and Negotiations: You will be the company’s primary contract drafter and reviewer, working alongside the leadership team on all contract negotiations. You will also improve upon the company’s current contracting practices and build and maintain a complete set of reliable legal templates.
- Privacy and Compliance: You will work with our operations and engineering teams to develop and implement data privacy and security policies and ensure legal compliance throughout the company.
- Strategy: You will provide company leadership with the legal strategy in areas such as Intellectual Property licensing, corporate asset purchases, venture capital fundraising, and state or federal regulatory matters. You will help us look around corners to identify and mitigate risk and sources of risk and legal liability.
- Legal database: You will have primary responsibility for managing our contracts database and working with our outside counsel and growth/finance teams to ensure we maintain an up-to-date and accurate data room.
- Miscellaneous: As we are an early-stage startup, you will take on a wide range of often-changing legal and non-legal tasks. Some of which may be outside of your current expertise.
- 1.You'll be our first full-time legal hire, but not our last. We're looking for someone with experience in recruiting who is excited to build out this function and team over time.
- 2.You will have the opportunity to potentially impact the lives of billions of people across the world through redefining personal communication and democratizing ownership.
- 3.We’re small, so you’ll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You’ll quickly have responsibility for significant areas of our product.
- 4.You’ll be able to work remotely and set your own schedule. We have very few meetings, and we don’t micromanage.
- 5.We’ll tailor your role to shape a career that fuels you. We care a ton about your satisfaction and job happiness and will help prepare you for whatever you’re looking to do in the future.
- 6.We work extremely hard during the week and take the weekends for rest and recovery. We actively encourage prioritizing personal health, sleep, exercise, ergonomics, etc.
- 1.We’re small (~10 people in the company now), so we are probably not a good fit if you like more established companies.
- 2.Since we’re an early-stage startup, projects and priorities will shift. If you prefer a consistent schedule and workload, we are probably not a good fit.
- 3.Your projects may not be clearly defined. As a result, you will need to leverage your own experience, intuition, and perspective to help us make the right decisions. We are probably not a good fit if you are looking for perfect project briefs.