3x Senior Full Stack Engineer
- Frontend - React/React Native, TypeScript, and Apollo GraphQL.
- Backend - Node.js, TypeScript, Apollo GraphQL, AWS and Docker.
- Databases - DynamoDB as our primary datastore, Postgres, Redis and Elasticsearch for caching/websockets and search.
- Operations - We run entirely on AWS with a full infrastructure-as-code approach.
Roles and job descriptions at our stage are necessarily ambiguous and cover a huge portfolio of responsibilities, so we need someone who thrives in that environment.
- Write clean, fully-typed React Native code: Across our stack, we make heavy use of TypeScript to keep our code clean, maintainable, and less prone to errors. Even though we are a small team, code quality is a top priority. We take pride in code cleanliness and structure.
- Integrate with our GraphQL backend: Our API uses GraphQL exclusively, and you'll utilize the Apollo library to build well-typed, performant, cacheable queries and mutations throughout our app.
- Build the next generation chat: Chat can be a technically challenging problem to solve. On ThisApp, chat also involves events and payments—you'll be working to build upon and optimize our chat system to make communication feel smooth and performant for both iOS and Android.
- Influence the product: Every engineer works closely with our design and product teams to make ThisApp the best it can be. You'll have the opportunity to contribute your own ideas and influence the product in a meaningful way.
- Pixel-perfect design: Utilize our well-built Figma portfolio to construct beautiful mobile UI/UX flows.
Our ideal candidate deeply understands UX, React Native, and can move from building simple screens to leveraging our Apollo cache system for optimistic queries and mutations—all in TypeScript. Experience with pipelines and Fastlane build systems is a plus.
- Write clean, fully-typed code: Across our stack, we make heavy use of TypeScript to keep our code clean, maintainable, and less prone to errors. As a small team, code quality is a top priority, so we maintain high standards for cleanliness and structure.
- Build our GraphQL API for web and mobile: Our mobile app uses GraphQL exclusively and requires a robust set of queries and mutations to operate. You'll work with our product team to build out our API and find new ways to leverage GraphQL to provide features such as chat, group plans, calendar integration and sharing expenses with your groups and friends.
- Architect database access patterns: As our product evolves, you'll develop new DynamoDB data access patterns to accommodate product use-cases and optimize for performance. You will work with and build upon our AWS services like Lambda, DynamoDB, Postgres, Elasticsearch, Redis and Docker.
- Integrate with third party APIs: Leverage third-party calendar integrations and payment services to build out our events and payments infrastructure. Do things like syncing calendar events across multiple calendars and transferring money between users.
- Our ideal candidate can see the bigger picture and architect back-end systems to accomplish product goals. While you’ll primarily work with Node.js / TypeScript, experience in DevOps and the AWS CDK is a plus.
- 1.You will have the opportunity to potentially impact the lives of billions of people across the world through redefining personal communication and democratizing ownership.
- 2.We’re small, so you’ll be able to contribute efficiently and without bureaucracy. You’ll quickly have responsibility for significant areas of our product.
- 3.You’ll be able to work remotely and set your own schedule. We have very few meetings, and we don’t micromanage.
- 4.We’ll tailor your role to shape a career that fuels you. We care a ton about your satisfaction and job happiness and will help prepare you for whatever you’re looking to do in the future.
- 5.We work extremely hard during the week and take the weekends for rest and recovery. We actively encourage prioritizing personal health, sleep, exercise, ergonomics, etc.
- 1.We’re small (~10 people in the company now), so we are probably not a good fit if you like more established companies.
- 2.Since we’re an early-stage startup, projects and priorities will shift. If you prefer a consistent schedule and workload, we are probably not a good fit.
- 3.Your projects may not be clearly defined. As a result, you will need to leverage your own experience, intuition, and perspective to help us make the right decisions. We are probably not a good fit if you are looking for perfect project briefs.